Tooth Fairy In The Making

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Musical Memories

I was doing a restoration in the clinic when I heard a familiar song on the radio.

"I don't care who you are, where you're from, what you did - as long as you love me".

If you don't recognise the lyrics, clearly you weren't a teenager in the 90s. I heard that song and was transported home - back to when I didn't know Melbourne, didn't know what it was like to be away from home. Didn't know that there's actually such a thing called a cavity design when you drill into a tooth. Back to when the biggest crisis in my life was to figure out how to get out of PE classes and why I wasn't getting perfect scores for maths tests.

I miss those days. Miss the days when it was raining outside and I was lying in bed with my favourite book. Miss my kindergarten days when my pink alarm clock would ring (where is that alarm clock now?) and I'll go down and have breakfast - a perfectly boiled half boiled egg prepared by my dad, with just the right amount of soy sauce. Miss my dogs. Miss my entire life back home.

I guess I never thought things would be like this when I am 21. I certainly didn' think I would be in Melbourne - very likely I didn't even know where it was. It's like... when you're 13 you think 21 is ages away - inconsequential to the right here right now. Yet here I am.

I was brought up in a small town. I lived my entire life in the same house until I came to Melbourne. Since then I've moved 3 times in Melbourne and at the end of the year - it'll be four.

I like predictability. Permanence. I don't like moving. All the places I've lived in in Melbourne, I've never called them home. I'd always say to my friends, 'I'm at my apartment' or 'I'm at my place'. Everything here is just temporary. Each time I move into a place I have to remind myself that I'm going to have to move again.

I know this is a phase. But I want to belong and find my grounding - so that I can put out roots and grow into a tree instead of staying in my shell - waiting for the rain to come.

4am ramblings.

Labels:

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home