Tooth Fairy In The Making

Friday, September 29, 2006

Removable Prosthetics

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate removable prosthetics?

Removable prosthetics is a branch of dentistry dealing with stuff like dentures - basically stuff that can be removed as opposed to fixed prosthetics like crowns, implants, bridges etc.

I hate that class. I hate how we have to wax up the models. I hate how they make us do the whole thing over again. I hate how we have to deal with patients who aren't happy with the speed we're doing things.

We're students for goodness' sake. If you want someone fast and snappy - go pay a private practice to do it for you. If you want free treatment, you have to put up with a few inconveniences.

That said, the patients who come in are brave, brave souls. I respect them.

Back to trying to figure out how to bend a clasp without the clasp looking like some random piece of bent wire.

Labels:

4 comment(s):

I totally understand how you feel ;( I still remember the first full dentures I made for my patient. She couldn't close her mouth when she had them in but she forced it close and I didn't realise it. When she came back for exam next week she had full mouth of ulcers *GASP* and that's when I realised she couldn't close her mouths with the dentures in. :p I was told to do a rebase but couldn't be bothered and eventually transferred her to my friend who didn't have a patient heehee. He couldn't contact her and we thought she might have passed away since she was quite old. :( I felt bad for a while. ;p
I hate pros too thanks to you know who (I assume it's still the same person teaching pros :p). He told me you don't have to do this after you grad when I went to ask him questions, and I never touch a denture since. Only made a pair of F/F, and a P/- in my life. Implant is the way to go, patients with dentures are banned from my surgery. ;p

By Blogger Dentist Down Under, at 9/29/2006 7:28 PM  

My F/F patient still says that the dentures I made for her are 'heavy' and 'are not like her old pair'. Well, hello, they're not like your old pair because your old pair was falling off everytime you tried to chew!

Good to know that I can quit removable pros when I graduate.

Yes, you-know-who is still teaching and telling us all off left right and centre. Makes pros even more enjoyable.

By Blogger Dental Girl, at 9/29/2006 8:27 PM  

LOL just endure for now and you won't have to touch them after you grad. Dentures esp the full dentures don't generate much income anyway and they're a pain in the arse that never go away. Patients have too high expectation and always expect dentures to function and feel like real teeth. What the hell. If you lose a leg you don't expect a prosthetic limb to function like the real one so I never understand why ppl expect dentures to be like real teeth. My boss still does it (so I referred everyone to him heehee), he's in his 60s and still can't get the dentures right sometimes. It's not us, it's the patients. Just tell them to go away in future.

By Blogger Dentist Down Under, at 9/30/2006 12:41 PM  

Yeah, they're so demanding...and the service is free now! I shudder to think what they would demand when they actually have to pay for it. *sweat*

By Blogger Dental Girl, at 9/30/2006 11:12 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home