Tooth Fairy In The Making

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Are We There Yet?

I have the patient's equivalent of kids screaming at the backseat of the car at the parents saying,' Are we there yet? Are we there yet?' every 3 seconds.

Except my patient says ,"So when will I be seeing you again?"

So here's the story. I was assigned to do a partial denture for this patient who was a young man and wasn't working.

Me: Hi there.
Him: Hi. I'm so happy when you called me. I've been waiting for treatment for ages.
Me: Well, here we are now.
Him: How long is it going to take for you to make this denture?
Me: We're talking about around 6 months (at least 5 sessions every fortnight plus 2 holidays in between).
Him: .......6 months?!?!?!
Me: Well, I'm a student so I take longer to do things and we have holidays.
Him: How many holidays do you have?!

Now he had the audacity to question the number of holidays I had. This was too much!

Me: I'm sorry but that's all I can offer you. If you can't wait 6 months I suggest that you go to a private practice to have that done instead.
Him: Hmph...oh welll, I suppose if that's the best you could do...

Ever since that session, every session he comes in he asks me these two questions - repeatedly (we're talking 10-20 times per session)

"When is the next time I'll be seeing you? How long is this going to take again?"

Argh!!!!!!!

He doesn't shut up all the way until I shove the impression material into his mouth. Not only that - when I take impressions he actually bites on my fingers.

Me: *calmly* You're biting down on my fingers, I want you to open your mouth slightly alright?
Him: *widens mouth slightly for about 5 seconds, and clamps down again*
Me: ........

Ah, the joys of dentistry.

Labels:

1 comment(s):

lmao this entry brought tears to my eyes!! hahahaha.. that was so funny!! Thanks you made my day!!

the worst i've experienced when taking impressions was serious gagging, no biting on fingers YET lol

cheers <3

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/07/2006 10:16 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home