Tooth Fairy In The Making

Friday, September 29, 2006

Cockroach In Food

I love risotto. It's nice and soothing on the throat and is a good option when one is sick. Its porridge-like consistency saves me the trouble of cooking my own porridge when I'm down and out.

There's this restaurant I like to go to that makes fairly good risotto. I went there with a friend, ate half the plate of risotto in typical Dental Girl fashion - picking at a few grains of rice at a time taking my sweet time with my food. Which is a mercy I did...because I found...

A cockroach in my risotto!

When I first saw it I blinked and thought I hallucinated. After all, I am paying AUD18.50 for this and the restaurant was quite upscale. When I confirmed it, I called the waiter over who came, took the plate to the kitchen and returned.

"I'm sorry but I don't know how the cockroach got there. There are no cockcroaches on the premises."

He stood there silent. Sensing he wasn't going to apologize further or make any other amends, I told him that I wans't going to pay for such substandard food. He actually looked unhappy over it!

Can't believe my whole life of eating at mamaks and roadside stalls has never led to finding a cockroach in my food - but eating in a posh Italian restaurant did.

The irony.

Labels:

8 comment(s):

Did you not threaten to sue them to oblivion?

By Blogger moz monster, at 9/28/2006 1:02 PM  

Lucky for you you found the cockroach BEFORE it ended up in your mouth, right? Wow, that is really gross news!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/28/2006 1:26 PM  

Hey, no, I didn't threaten to sue them to oblivion. I think the most you can do is demand for free drinks and dessert, which I didn't even do. Frankly, I was in shock.

Yeah, good thing I'm a picky and slow eater or else..*gulp*

By Blogger Dental Girl, at 9/28/2006 5:02 PM  

You should have taken a picture of it and send it blackmail them :p send it to newspaper
So which restaurant is it?

By Blogger Dentist Down Under, at 9/28/2006 10:16 PM  

Oh, it's on Lygon St...it's called Copperwood. Do you know it?

Yeah, should have taken a picture - but he removed the evidence. Smart waiter.

By Blogger Dental Girl, at 9/28/2006 11:00 PM  

hahh.. same thing happened to me at Shark Fin House Little Bourke - baby cockroach wrapped in my "har gao". They whisked the dimsum away really quickly, manager came over to apologise and desserts on them. Will try to avoid Copperwood in the future..

By Blogger xaverri, at 9/29/2006 3:37 PM  

Baby cockroach in your 'har gao'? That's even worse - people usually don't even look at the har gao before they eat it! Luckily you found it!

And you got free desserts...*hmph*

By Blogger Dental Girl, at 9/29/2006 3:48 PM  

Dunno Copperwood, I usually go to Il Primo. Next time don't let them take away the evidence, kick up a big fuss, make lots of noise, you can be very rich soon and buy that Burberry trench hehe

By Blogger Dentist Down Under, at 9/29/2006 7:01 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home