Tooth Fairy In The Making

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Housemate from Hell

It all started innocently enough. The apartment I was renting in Southbank was sold and I had to move. I decided to move back to good old Carlton because it's nearer to uni and more convenient.

My housemate (let's call her Sara) told me that her friend from high school (Rosemary) had a 3 room apartment and that she would be happy if we would move in and stay with her. The rent was cheap, the place looked okay and it was really near uni. So I said yes.

That decision has been one of the worst I've made in my lifetime. It all started innocently enough - peanut butter and cereal disappearing from the kitchen. Upon confrontation, she at first denied it but later confessed to her sins and actually replaced the stuff she took. So far, still acceptable.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the cakes/cookies I bake that I leave to cool in the kitchen always gets crumbled/broken. At first I thought it was the weather here but after a while my slow brain caught on and I realised she was picking at them.

Then my toothbrush disappeared. Or rather, was replaced. One day it was red, the next day it was blue. Did I mentioned the blue toothbrush was a used one?!

I decided not to kick up a fuss and just replace my toothbrush. It needed changing anyway.

Then one day I woke up, washed my face and my towel wasn't there.

Sensing this was just wrong, Sara suggested I check in Rosemary's room. After all, she had just done her laundry and maybe she 'borrowed' my towel. True enough - there was my towel hanging on her towel rack.

When she came home, I asked her about it and got the standard answer ,'No, I haven't seen it *innocent*'. 3 hours later she came to my room and said she must have 'accidentally' taken it into her room. Yeah, and accidentally hung it on her towel rack too while she was at it. *rolls eyes*

Oh, I forgot to mention that I found my Nike weights in her room - where they had no business to be.

We've decided that either Rosemary
1. Has an eating disorder and can't resist stealing food.
2. Enjoys using other people's personal items i.e. toothbrushes and towels.
3. Is a kleptomaniac.
4. Is a pathological liar.
5. Is just plain crazy.

I guess the breaking point for me was when my Burberry scarf which was supposed to last me a lifetime disappeared 4 months after I bought it. To be fair, I am unsure if I lost it in uni or in the house. But suffice it to say that I take care of my belongings and because the dental faculty is so small and everybody knows everybody, generally what is accidentally left behind gets returned.

But still - no evidence.

I actually went through the 5 stages of grieving when the scarf disappeared - denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance.

After I went through that, I called the locksmith and demanded he put a lock of my door.

Sometimes I wonder - maybe I am the crazy housemate and Rosemary is the victim. It's gotten to the point where I question my own sanity.



My Burberry scarf that kept me warm faithfully for 4 months with its cashmere-y warmth. *tears*

Thank goodness I'm moving out next year.

Labels:

13 comment(s):

I remember my room mate from hell too when I was staying in college. I was so fed up with her so one day I used her toothbrush to.....scrub the toilet bowl! ;p

By Blogger Dentist Down Under, at 9/30/2006 12:46 PM  

On a separate note, while i was studying in aussieland, i have stayed in three different cities. unless i change cities, my housemate remain the same. However, a trend i notice among girls who stayed with girls, they cannot last more than a semester.

when guys argue, they tend to forget it really quickly. girls on the other hand do remember.

Perhaps it is time to look for some male housesmates? hehehe o a hint, they tend to give in to girls more.. LOL

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/30/2006 12:48 PM  

Really bad to have such housemate. Luckily i dont have one since i moved to KL.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/30/2006 1:28 PM  

Time to cut your losses. Get out now! It's not worth all the angst.

Or you could try having a little fun. Bake some cookies/treats with loads of laxatives in them and just leave them lying around the house :D

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/30/2006 7:36 PM  

dentist down under: Omg can't believe you did that! But I'm sure she deserved it. Lol.

fat4: I told my parents maybe staying with guys would be a good idea but they think it would 'tarnish my reputation' and guys bring their own set of problems. Which is true.

martin: Hell yeah, you have no idea. Almost died this year. Surprised I'm still alive actually.

Minny: I wanted to cut my losses, but cutting my losses would cost my parents about AUD4000. Decided to bear with it instead. Sigh.

By Blogger Dental Girl, at 9/30/2006 11:10 PM  

It's so hard to stay with others outside family. Though there are funny times, but it's just hard.

I'm now a college student staying with a China girl whom is different college with me. Imagine what happened? She smoked in the house(though is strictly banned), her so-called Malefriends always horn at the door,(LOUD that type)...and she is kind of wierd, bath only during midnight hours while letting the tapwater falls on the empty pails which cause such a loud noise...imagine all the ppl are engrossing in the sweet dreams.Worse still, she steals food too. Especially those type of expensive Eu-Yan-Sang chinese Herbs which have to put in the public fridge...half of them was gone and the leftover was found in her room.

*ANGST*

By Blogger Mic. Tham, at 10/01/2006 2:16 AM  

mic: Totally feel your pain. Detest it when people smoke, make noise, do inconsiderate things and steal food. Nothing pisses me off more thatn discovering that my peanut butter has been violated again and my cereal has actually halved.

Hope you've moved our or kicked that housemate out.

By Blogger Dental Girl, at 10/01/2006 3:48 AM  

I wish so dental girl...I complaint to the landlady but the landlady is now running out of idea too.

Btw have you confronted "the peanut butter and cereal" burglar?
If I were you I sure have put something unknown inside, like cockcroach...haha..scare her away!

By Blogger Mic. Tham, at 10/01/2006 12:14 PM  

Well, everytime I ask her if she has done something, she denies it. It comes to the point where I don't even bother asking anymore.

Now I just leave hostile notes in the kitchen telling her to clean up the microwave and throw out the trash.

Hmph.

By Blogger Dental Girl, at 10/01/2006 1:07 PM  

I think you should consider putting "stuff" in the food she steals. I used to dip the biscuits in toilet bowls and dry them when my room mate from hell went away during the weekend, and used bread the clean the windows. :p She was very welcome to steal them when she came back heehee. I still remember her complaining about eating something bad and getting diarrhoea whenever my "processed food" disappeared. *evil grin*
Try laxative in your cookies (I put them in my milk). Good stuff.

By Blogger Dentist Down Under, at 10/01/2006 1:20 PM  

Wow dentist down under...

Your bread-wiping window is scary, the she must have done something very evil before...haha

By Blogger Mic. Tham, at 10/01/2006 2:40 PM  

Wow, you were really aggressive with your housemate - I think if I did that maybe I wouldn't feel as pissed off.

I think the dipping biscuits into the toilet bowl is the winner. Lol.

By Blogger Dental Girl, at 10/01/2006 7:26 PM  

wow..coincidental title same like mine. on separate note which wasnt mentioned in my blog, i used to have cereal burglars among my housemates who finish up my cereals & bin them at the very bottom of the dustbin just to get rid of evidence! think about smart, those are sly lil' devils. but im the smarter ass of course cos & my smart ass instinct 'instructed' me to check the bin, which i did & they get busted there & then.

mainland chinese is vile as hell. you can never guess a hot china lass that wow people with her sultry catwalks can live a life like a pig sty! talk about puking blood, i puke my eyeballs out of my eyesockets.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/10/2006 8:58 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home