Tooth Fairy In The Making

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Dentistry

All my life I never planned to become a dentist. I always thought that I would become a doctor - mainly because that's what most parents want their kids to be (such a respectable job!) I devoted the first 18 years of my life to reach that goal. Then 3 weeks before handing in my application form to the many respective universities I got hit by a truck (literally) and that changed my life forever.

I was lying in hospital, letting the maxillofacial surgeon fix me up and realized that the last thing I wanted to do in life was to waste another 10-15 years of my life studying to become a doctor. I felt that up to then I had not lived - but rather all I had ever done was make sacrifices to get into medical school.

As a result, I chose the second option and decided to become a dentist. I have not looked back since (alright, maybe I have looked back a few times) but other than that I'm happy with my decision.

This is a blog to record my journey through dental school and life. If there's too much shopping or whining, I apologize in advance.

Labels:

4 comment(s):

Strewth! Hope it was a small truck?!

I have many mates who studied for 5 years to become dentists in Australia. The most distressing anecdote was when a close friend of mine accidentally pricked his hand with a syringe he had just used on a patient. Thankfully, the lab test finally confirmed he hadn't contracted HIV/AIDS. Make sure you "double-glove".

By Blogger Minny, at 9/28/2006 1:28 AM  

Hey there! Well, it was the side mirror of the truck specifically - so it slammed right into my face, fracturing my facial and cranial bones in 7 places. Was hospitalized for 3 weeks for that.

Yeah, I live in constant fear of HIV and herpes. Strangely, I have a bigger phobia for herpes - because it's easier to contract and...I don't know. Just an illogical phobia.

Thanks for visiting.

By Blogger Dental Girl, at 9/28/2006 1:32 AM  

I'm looking forward to following your adventures through school...

By Blogger Unknown, at 10/03/2006 7:00 AM  

im dentophobik. guide me o'wise one!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/09/2006 5:46 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home