Tooth Fairy In The Making

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Gentlemanliness

I came across an article online with a to-do list for guys on how to be the perfect gentleman. It tickled me so much I'm posting up a few that I particularly like here. Feminists are probably going to have a fit.

1. Do not spit
A lot of men do this almost subconsciously. Spitting is very crude and not too pretty to look at. Do not spit in public unless you want to look like you were raised in a sewer.

Ah, how true that is! An acquaintance recently spat onto the road in my presence and I was absolutely appalled. My regard for him pretty much plummeted. I will never look at him in the same light again.

2. Be punctual
Perhaps the greatest sign of respect, which is what a gentleman is all about, is being on time. Having people wait for you is the equivalent of telling them that you don't care about them.

I could write whole posts about how much I feel about this matter.

3. Always carry a woman's packages
Let's face it; today's women would probably shoot you a puzzled fleeting look, so at least offer to do so. This lets her know you respect her and are courteous enough to inquire as to her comfort.

If a girl is clearly struggling, it's the only right thing to do! Put your hours in the gym to good use, people!

4. Carry a handkerchief
Plan ahead. Have a clean handkerchief in your pocket, especially when you attend a funeral. It's also a great idea to have a hanky handy for a lady friend to dry raindrops or tears.

This amuses me, but I have known some guys to still carry hankerchiefs even now.

5. Walk on the outside of a sidewalk
This allows your lady to be farther from the traffic. This way, if someone is going to be splashed, it will be you, not her. I know, I know... but that's the price to pay if you want to be a gentleman.

This one is probably the nicest one that I read. How thoughtful. Also decreases the likelihood of snatch theft. I'd be extremely impressed if a guy did this.

Labels:

1 comment(s):

Two of my suitors do/did this... Walking on the outside of the footpath, that is. And all the other things, for that matter. It's the Scotch College in them - or so they tell me.

By Blogger Sprinkled Words (former Miss Milk), at 4/17/2008 10:45 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home