Tooth Fairy In The Making

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Pressure

My mom called.

Mom: Your grandmother has been complaining why there hasn't been any weddings in our family.
Me: Uh huh...*disinterest*
Mom: All your cousins are all 25-30 and not even one of them getting married. Many are not even attached!
Me: Uh huh...
Mom: Why haven't you found a boyfriend?
Me: At 21, what is the chances of me dating and marrying the guy? I'm not going to get together and break up and waste my time. I have better things to do.
Mom: Well, just be friends!
Me: I have friends. Isn't that good enough?
Mom: Well, it's not the same as a boyfriend.
Me: *Exasperated*

Apparently she has concluded that at 21 my single status is starting to worry her.

Here's the thing - I don't want to settle for something that is not enough to push me to do more. I am not going to settle for ordinary. I'm looking for extraordinary.

Maybe I am too fussy and maybe I shouldn't have such high expectations about what I want in life. But I don't believe myself to be so. I have met many guys who are good boyfriend material - but there just hasn't been that extra something that I have not found. Maybe I'm over-romantic. Maybe I should be realistic.

But to me, it's all or nothing - there is no middle.

Mom sniffed. "Well, I guess you're left with nothing then."

Isn't 'nothing' better than a husband who gambles, cheats or a relationship that is passionless?

Labels:

2 comment(s):

we're still so young, can afford to take our time...

don't settle for second best~ u'll really kick urself when things go wrong ~_~

By Blogger angela, at 11/17/2006 3:59 AM  

Totally agree with you:

"Isn't 'nothing' better than a husband who gambles, cheats or a relationship that is passionless?"

By Blogger Dentist Down Under, at 11/20/2006 11:13 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home