Tooth Fairy In The Making

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Punctuality

Call me anal - but I can't stand it when people are not punctual.

Sure, 2-3 minutes late is acceptable - my patience finally cracking when the 10 minute mark is reached.

I don't understand what is so difficult about being on time. When you state a time to meet, it is a promise. If you can't make it at that time, I don't see what's so difficult about just saying flat out that you can't make it. Don't say I'll be there in 10 minutes when you actually mean I'll start thinking about going there in about 10 minutes - right after I do my laundry, wash my dishes, shower, decide what to wear and paint my nails.

It may be surprising but I have actually ended a friendship because I couldn't take the person's persistent lateness. The person would show up 3 hours after that promised time, cancel the appointment at the time of meeting (seriously? I'm already there waiting and you're telling me you're not coming??) and was just seeming blase about the act. All the time. To me, it's a sign of disrespect. You wouldn't go to an exam late because you know there's a lot at stake. That doesn't mean you can take a friend for granted and just pass it off as 'Oh well, it's cool. She'll wait.'

When I was complaining about this - a friend told me to be more tolerant and be less uptight about the time. Apparently, I have to let things go and 'chill'. Waiting a few minutes won't kill.

Yeah, it won't kill. But it sure as hell pisses me off.

Labels:

3 comment(s):

I feel the same way and living here in Malaysia where everyone takes the tidak apa attitude towards time is suffocating. As you said, a few minutes is fine. Just don't cross the 10 or 15 minute mark. Punctuality is a virtue and no, I don't think you are anal at all :)

By Blogger PP, at 10/04/2006 12:06 AM  

It soooooooooo pisses me off it's not funny. I actually have to control myself from screaming sometimes.

Especially when the person doesn't apologize and seems to take it as nothing big.

By Blogger Dental Girl, at 10/09/2006 1:31 AM  

wah? late for 3 hour wan people also exists??? that is js too much! 3 hours if u stayed at home u can still do shitloads of things instead of sitting idle.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/10/2006 8:39 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home