Tooth Fairy In The Making

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Denture Power

I was assigned a patient who was a young male who had a missing central incisor.

Before Denture

Him: Are you going to be my dentist?
Me: Yes, I'll be the one to make you a denture to fill that gap you have there.
Him: Ohh, that would be so good. I'm always embarassed to go out because of that gap. I've been smiling without showing my teeth for a few months now. Like this *flashes closed-mouth smile*
Me: *sympathetic* Well, I'm sure after you get your dentures you'll be a happy person.
Him: I sure would!

He always seemed to have such low self esteem. That was until I gave him his brand new dentures and sent him off to the big bad superficial world. He came back 2 weeks later for a small readjustment.

After Denture
Him: Hello Dental Girl! *wide toothy grin accompanied by a distinct strut in his walk*
Me: Hi there. I'll be readjusting yout denture today.
Him: I really missed you! How've you been?
Me: Fine. Now let me just go polish this and we're done! What the hell is wrong with this patient?!
Him: That's it? So quick?
Me: Yes.
Him: Aww, so I won't be seeing you again?
Me: Nnnnnope. There, all done. You can go now. *Practically kicking him out of the dental chair*
Him: Oh? That's so sad! I'll really miss you. So..what are you doing today? *not budging*
Me: I have 5 more patients to see. And you don't want to see me. Everytime you see me, it just means you have a new dental problem One that I would treat with no local anaesthetic.
Him: Oh..really? *reluctantly gets out of chair and starts looking around the bay*
Me: You can go now.
Him: Ohh...I'm just looking to see if I left anything behind.
Me: Nope, you didn't When is he going to leave??
Him; Oh...okay then. I'll see you around! *walking away veeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyy sloowwwwwwwwllllllyyyyyyyy*
Me: *pointedly turns to the computer and starts writing up patient notes*

Conclusion: Never underestimate the power of a piece of plastic.

Have I created a monster?

Labels:

1 comment(s):

Hmm, maybe I should have gone into dentistry, lol.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/12/2007 3:36 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home