Tooth Fairy In The Making

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Dentistry and Me

As I plug amalgam into another 36MO, I wonder if this is what I want to do for the rest of my life.

Don't get me wrong - I don't dislike dentistry. But do I love it?

I love the feeling of the periodontal ligaments ripping when I finally extract a tooth - triumphantly. A patient told me last year that he didn't believe that I could extract teeth - I looked so weak and ... un-dentist-y. I guess that makes my successful extractions taste sweet.

I love it when the resin composite is the exact color match to the tooth I'm working on.

I love removing walls of calculus on lower anterior teeth with the ultrasonic scaler...seeing all the pieces of calculus flaking off, exposing actual root surfaces.

I love removing caries with a slow speed round bur, the leathery stuff coming off in small clumps and then powder, leaving a polished hard clean surface.

I guess I love at least some of it.

Labels:

1 comment(s):

I love preparing access cavities for root canals: an unrestricted license to drill, and at the bottom... god knows what?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/18/2008 12:58 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home