Tooth Fairy In The Making

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Aging Gracefully

Yesterday me and my friend treated a patient in one of the community clinic. The chart said she was 93 years old.

Thus we were quite amazed when a old lady who could still walk and move very well literally bounced into the surgery. Immediately, you could feel her aura of optimism and independence.

She still lives alone - "I don't want to be a burden to anyone. I have a little scooter to get around so I can just go to the shops, post office and the grocery store that way. I love my independence."

On the weather forecasts - "Everyone complains that the weather forecast always claims that it rains but it never does. But just because it didn't rain in your street doesn't mean it didn't rain 3 streets away! People shouldn't be so hard on the weatherman."

When she choked on water from the ultrasonic scaler, she apologized for being such a difficult patient. When we assured her that this was a common happening and she shouldn't be embarassed about it - "But I don't want to be common! Not if it gives trouble to other people."

I shall try to be more like her and wish all patients were that way.

Labels:

2 comment(s):

was this at whitehorse? coz i think i know the patient you're talking about. I love her.

By Blogger Unknown, at 2/06/2008 6:05 PM  

wish i cud be like that too!


happy chinese new year girl!!!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/08/2008 2:08 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home